SAMPLE ENTRY-LEVEL JOB LISTING - Development Associate, Foundation Relations
Seeks, secures, and stewards funding from foundation donors by writing proposals and grants, managing proposal and reporting projects, and supporting cultivation and stewardship of existing and new relationships with foundation donors. Grant portfolio focuses on complex partnerships and innovative program, policy and research solutions to ensure every child is ready for kindergarten and beyond.
- Serve as a lead or supporting writer on grant proposals and reports for donors to support ongoing and new programs. Create stewardship plans and manage the proposal/reporting cycle. Inform appropriate staff of grant requirements and reporting deadlines.
- Support cultivation and stewardship of existing and new relationships with donors by identifying appropriate touch points and engagement strategies, drafting correspondence with donors, and developing meeting prep sheets and follow-up materials. Conduct research to support the development and management of prospect cultivation strategies.
- Schedule and participate in cross-divisional meetings to build a knowledge base for writing proposals, reports, meeting pre sheets, e-mails and concept papers for projects and funders.
- Collaborate with finance and program staff to develop and manage budgets and budget narratives for grant proposals and reports.
- Oversee the maintenance of calendars, timelines, grants information and electronic and hard copy files of correspondence; enter, update and maintain donor and prospective donor information in the Development database and other electronic records.
- Manage multiple development projects, including the development of concept papers, prospect profiles and moves management strategies and systems.
Preferred Knowledge, Experience, and Education
Education: Bachelor’s degree in liberal arts, Journalism or related field.
Relation Experience: Minimum two (2) years in non-profit fundraising with experience in proposal writing, foundation and government relations, grant reporting and budget development or similar industries.
Special Training or Competency:
- Advanced grant writing and editing skills with exceptional attention to detail.
- Advanced project management skills to balance multiple large-scale projects and deadlines simultaneously
- Computer literate – Microsoft Word and Excel.